Listen up if this sounds familiar: You’re not allergic to dogs or cats. Your HVAC system is well-maintained and up to date. But you’re still experiencing poor air quality and heating and cooling issues!
The fact is that pets have a bigger impact on HVAC systems than most people know. Luckily, Nu-Air Heating and Cooling, LLC is here with the tips you need to know to keep everyone in your home healthy and happy—including that precious puppy or kitty. Read on to learn more and contact our skilled professionals for Mandeville HVAC services.
HVAC Systems and Pets: The 6 Tips You Should Always Follow
- Keep Your Pets Clean: Let’s face it, domestic animals, especially ones that regularly go outside, are great at finding ways to get really dirty. Dirt, pollen, and other contaminants easily stick to pet fur, and if your nose is even a little bit sensitive, cat or dog dander can have a major impact on your breathing ability. When your pets walk around your house with all of these allergens on their fur, it goes into your HVAC system where it will then be circulated everywhere. Get rid of hairy contaminants by giving that special animal friends regular baths.
- Keep Your House Clean: This is an extension of the last point. No matter how clean you think your pet may be, chances are they’re still leaving trace amounts of pollutants wherever they go. For animals that shed, especially, you will want to watch out for this, as your HVAC system is going to redistribute these particles throughout the rest of your house. Pick up after your pets and yourself, and help everyone in your home breathe a little easier.
- Keep Your Ducts Sealed: We’ve already talked about how pet dander and debris can travel around your home and make it into your HVAC system. In addition to keeping everything clean, you should also seal ducts as much as possible to prevent contaminants from wafting in and then spreading around—and you might as well add your ducts to the list of things to keep clean, while you’re at it.
- Keep Your HVAC Filter Up to Date: Homes with pets may require stronger HVAC filters to adequately protect against various allergens. Consider outfitting your system with a filter that has a MERV (or Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value) rating of 8 or higher to reduce air quality issues. All pet owners should at least make sure their filter is in good condition, regardless of what MERV rating it has.
- Keep Your Wires Hidden: When pets decide to chew on exposed wires, your unit may shut-down altogether. And that’s to say nothing of the threat to you and your pet’s safety that resulting sparks can cause in this scenario. That’s why you should keep all wires protected and hidden in places where your pets won’t find them.
- Keep Your Condenser Unit Closed: “But what is a condenser unit?” you may be asking. If you don’t have one, this won’t apply to you. But for those of you who do, you’ll want to keep your pets far away from it. Though usually located outside, pets that spend time in your yard may decide to scratch at or urinate on the fins of your condenser, causing major problems with the equipment in the long-term. Keep your condenser unit closed and consider putting a fence around it just in case.
Call Nu-Air Heating and Cooling for Five-Star Service in Mandeville Today
If you have a dog or cat, the other important step you should take to keep your HVAC system in good condition is to hire regular professional service. At Nu-Air Heating and Cooling, LLC, our regular maintenance plans can help make sure your system does not suffer any major issues overtime, and repair much of the wear and tear that naturally happens in pet owners’ homes. We also provide affordable financing options, so you never have to choose between your animals and quality heating and cooling work. With over 20 years of experience in the HVAC industry, our locally-owned and veteran-operated business is committed to providing solutions that guarantee customer satisfaction. And our technicians are all fully licensed and insured, so you always feel reassured with every single project. Call now for free estimates on replacements and more, and let Nu-Air fix that old HVAC system so it works like new again.
Contact us online to schedule service, or dial (985) 288-2445 anytime for 24/7 emergency repairs.